Wednesday, January 11, 2006

JupiterResearch: Weary in SF - Some random thoughts

After a long two weeks on the road to visit CES and MacWorld, Michael Gartenberg at JupiterResearch posts some of his thoughts on recent events. He writes:

I also ran into Walt Mossberg today, he told me I was too positive on the Treo 700. I told him I thought the same thing about his comments in reverse. It appears we're both having somewhat different experiences on our 650s and 700s. We did both agree that Palm might have considered the Smartphone platform for a phone device since it is far more optimized for one handed use.
Gartenberg also notes that:
I finally got to meet Om Malik at Starbucks where the Slingmedia folks were showing off a preview version of the Sling client for OS X. I've said it before but this thing is a killer app if you travel at all.
If you have everything in place (i.e. cable or satellite TV and a DVR) then the mobile version will be pretty disruptive as well. Why pay the network operators extra cash when you can leverage your existing home media subscriptions and setup instead?