Monday, January 09, 2006

Next Generation Forerunners

The gadget announcement from CES that got me salivating the most was from Garmin.

As I wrote in my
Predictions/Resolutions for 2006, the new GPS running watch is on my must-have list this year.

The folks at MotionBased (which was acquired by Garmin last fall) post their thoughts on the next generation Garmin Forerunners at MBlog.

Being part of the Garmin family allowed MotionBased to get their hands on prototypes of the new Forerunner 205 & 305 for testing.

Here are their initial impressions:

While most will be struck by the new body style, it’s what’s under the hood that impresses us. After all, it's all about the data. Right? Like the Edge, Forerunner 205 & 305 have SiRFstarIIITM architecture. That means dramatically improved GPS reception. We've subjected our prototypes to GPS torture - Muir Woods tree cover, Skeggs Point canyons, and downtown skyscrapers -– and they'’ve performed like 'champs. We were blown away to see our route up-and-down the isles of our local Best Buy. We'’ve also been pleased with the heart rate monitor, improved accuracy and softer material than its predecessor. Both the Edge and Forerunner 305'’s use the new HRM.
The hardest thing to decide will be whwther to spend $249 for the 205 or pay an extra hungee for the 305 with the HRM. I'll probably spend the $349 to get the Forerunner 305 since my Polar HRM is on its last legs. I'm pretty pysched that GPS reception has improved, but I'll wait to see what others in the real world say before taking the plunge....