Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Quick Look: Sprint Power Vision Phone Fusic by LG

For the past year, I have had the good fortune to participate in the Sprint Ambassador Program to try out Sprint's 3G multimedia phones and services.

The first handset I received as part of the program was the Sprint Power Vision Samsung A920. The A920 was a very capable handset and made me realize that 3G data was the only way to go as compared to my then poky GPRS-enabled Audiovox SMT-5600 Windows smartphone.

Since then I have upgraded my personal/work handset to a 3G-enabled Samsung Blackjack Windows Mobile 5 cellphone, and other than the less than stellar battery life while on the HSDPA 3G network, I couldn't be happier.

Being a major gadget geek, I couldn't turn down the chance to try out a new handset when Sprint asked me to try another 3G multimedia clamshell. For Phase II of the Sprint Ambassador Program, they sent me the Sprint Power Vision Phone Fusic by LG. The Fusic is a sharp looking phone and its design is definitely inspired by the Apple iPod with its white body and 4 interchangeable faceplates in nano-like blue, black, pink, and green colors. Although not as sturdy feeling as the Samsung A920, the Fusic seems to be an upgrade in terms of features and performance.

Since my 6th grader son is at the low-end of the primary target audience for a handset of this type, I let him use the Fusic for his weekday handset so I can keep track of his whereabouts. It seems the handset's looks and Sprint's 3G multimedia services are a big hit with his friends, especially the girls, so I guess that's a plus.

I asked him to sum up his experiences with the Fusic, and while it's only one paragraph long, it's pretty much to the point:

The Sprint Fusic is an amazing phone, It can download file after file without overheating like the Samsung A920. You can close it and still watch movies, take pictures, and listen to music. It has a stunning design and interchangeable faceplates although some problems such as the rubber keys leaving marks on the screen and the speaker on the outside ruin the overall impression. I give this phone a ten out of ten.