Wednesday, January 25, 2006

First Review of Garmin Forerunner 305

My next mobile device, the Surf Ski Information in South Africa has one of the first reviews of the Garmin Forerunner 305. It looks like the reviewer got a pre-production model and not all the information is applicable since he is a paddler and I run. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to seeing more reviews, especially regarding the GPS accuracy and the heart rate monitor (HRM) function, which supposedly are much improved from the current Forerunner models.

The Forerunner 305 is at the top of my wishlist followed by a new "smartphone" (Sprint PPC-6700 (HTC Apache) or i-Mate SP5/T-Mobile SDA (HTC Tornado)) and a burr grinder for my espresso machine. Coincidentally, each of these things run in the $200-$400 range, which explains why I can only purchase one at a time :-)

In anticipation of getting my hands on the Forerunner 305 in February, I'm clearing out space and preparing to eBay my older Polar S610 HRM and Forerunner 201 watches so I have some funds to pay for these things.

On a side note, other than financial analysts, who are the analysts covering the GPS device markets? Having a hard time identifying any beyond the consumer electronics/mobile devices folks. I guess I need to keep on digging...