Friday, November 18, 2005

Jupiter: Two views of the Sprint PPC-6700

Michael Gartenberg posts his thoughts on my latest must-have, drool-worthy gadget, the Sprint PPC-6700 (HTC Apache) Windows Mobile 5 phone, at the Jupiter Analyst Weblogs. Gartenberg, who has been testing the device, finds that it is "only slightly thicker than a Treo 650 but much more usable," and "it has great battery life, easily getting me through a heavy day of use, syncs well with my PC and uses the new WM 5 software from Microsoft which works really really welll for mobile tasks."

Gartenberg also reacts to a recent review of the device by Stephen Manes at Forbes, who wasn't as keen on the PPC-6700 and especially the latest version of Windows Mobile. Gartenberg comments:

I've been using one and my experience in no way is close to his. I wonder if we're using two different devices with the same name. I have not had a single issue with ActiveSync or the device and in fact have found the 6700 to be rock solid. I could argue about some of the other points, like round trip office documents (which no one does any better in a native file format) or the contrast on the keys is certain lighting. Pairing it with my notebook for remote access was a snap and then there's the EV-DO connectivity which made life a lot better and opened to the door to some new types of applications as well (some of which I can't talk about just yet). Overall, the 6700 in my opinion is the new king of smart phones (at the moment) based on form factor, battery life and the fact that EV-DO on the Sprint network is only $15 a month.
It's obvious after reading the review that Manes clearly did not have a good experience with the device, and Gartenberg wonders whose experience is closer to reality. I guess with Microsoft products YMMV (your mileage may vary).

I've had some issues with my Windows Mobile 3 Audiovox SMT-5600 smartphone, but it's nothing that some researching and playing around with the device can't resolve. The bigger question is whether these constantly improving (in terms of features and functionality) devices will remain as niche/enterprise products or crossover to the mainstream.

If they behave like Gartenberg's device then there is a chance, but if Manes' experience is the norm then no way. Ease of use is critical, since not everyone has the wherewithal, such as an IT help desk, knowledge or desire, to try and fix these things. Can't post anymore on this as I have to get back to the task at hand. My in-laws' PC is acting up...again...