Friday, September 16, 2005

Sprint to Offer HTC Apache/Wizard with EVDO and Wi-FI!

I caught this over at Engadget and just had to post about it because it brings up some interesting questions even without any analyst linkage. Sprint is now offering the HTC Apache/Wizard (PPC-6700) Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC phone with EVDO and Wi-Fi to its business customers.

Some have argued that carriers would be crazy to offer a Wi-Fi enabled phone due to the potential for customers to bypass both the voice and data networks. I'm not sure about that. From, a personal standpoint I think 3G and Wi-Fi are very complementary since neither has 100 percent coverage in the U.S. and a device like this would offer the most convenience to customers. And isn't that what it is all about? Serving the customer needs? This device has now moved to the top of my droolworthy list and I'm seriously considering getting it although I still feel the $60 EVDO plan is still too expensive (FYI, Verizon charges $45 for its EVDO service for smartphones and PDAs).

With that said, I must applaud Sprint for having the gumption to offer such a product. In my mind, business customers still have to pay for a voice and EVDO plan anyway so by making life and work easier the ARPU will follow. Right?